Saturday, January 08, 2005

Kung Fu Hustle (and other Asian movies)

Glorietta 1 Theater Billboard

Theater Billboard. (07Jan2005) Posted by Hello

As expected, Kung Fu Hustle is hilariously funny. With the comic antics of Stephen Chow, what else would you expect? Even if your eyes have to stray from time to time to read the subtitle. hehehehe! I guess, we're now used to watching movies with subtitles, with the invasion of other Asian movies in our theaters, like Hero, Ringu (The Ring), Ju-on (The Grudge), The Doll Master, etc.

I was not that interested in Chinese (and other Asian) movies, until I got hooked by Star Mandarin. I could not figure out, then, why my niece would stay awake in the wee hours of the morning watching the shows in Star Mandarin. She can name Asian actors and actresses, their interests, etc. like the back of her hand. She even took lessons to learn Mandarin!!! I guess, to better enjoy the movies (instead of always reading the subtitles... LOL).

So, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! From one movie, I get to watch another... and another... and another... and another... From comedy, action, romance to horror... From meaningful to inane...

And my observation from the movies I've watched: they always infuse their culture. Maybe, that's the reason their movies never fail to capture your interest.

6 Comments:

At 1/09/2005 03:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love watching comedy/action and i'm sure i'd love Kung Fu Hustle. hope i could watch it one of these days. pero yung horror - no way...hahah siguro kung gusto ko magsuicide pwede...:D

 
At 1/09/2005 11:16:00 PM, Blogger ~GFA~ said...

The trick in watching horror movies is the thought that they are not true but still enjoying the feeling that you'll be scared out of your wits. c",)

 
At 1/12/2005 01:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tita LOVES Asian horror films, as well as Stephen Chow movies!!!

Teka... 'hilariously funny'? Exage ka talaga, tita! Redundant na yun!!! Tsaka, 'inane'? Baka naman 'insane'. Hehe! ( ^ - ^ )

Wo ming pi xiao Zong Gou Ren. (Translation: I understand little Chinese). Even though I took lessons, I'm still not that fluent plus I can only remember a few words. That's why I still read the subtitles. I should've practiced as much as I could but I wouldn't blame myself being drowned by numerous brain-racking homeworks and school stuff.

 
At 1/12/2005 02:52:00 PM, Blogger ~GFA~ said...

Kaya nga redundant, dahil sa sobrang ka-corny-han nung movie, matatawa ka.. hehehe! To the tradition of "Shaolin Soccer" yung "Kung Fu Hustle". c",)

 
At 1/13/2005 03:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uhmm,corny nman po eh.tska di na makatotohanan,parang anime na ,or tulad ng incredible hulk,cartoons ang dating.rene

 
At 1/13/2005 03:57:00 PM, Blogger ~GFA~ said...

RENE --> Yun nga po, sa sobrang ka-corny-han, dun ka matatawa. Eh kasi naman, baka naghanap ng moral of the lesson sa isang action/comedy na slapstick pa yung pagpapatawa, nde ka nga matatawa.. :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home